- GCSE’s: Three A*s; seven As; one B and one C – including Maths, English and Triple Science (2012).
- A-Levels: English Literature B; English Language C and Modern History B.
- Degree: BA First-Class Honours in Journalism: Multimedia
- I am also undertaking my NCTJ Diploma and I am currently NCTJ qualified in with Gold Standard in Public Affairs, Essential Media Law, Reporting, Video Journalism for Online, and Court Reporting.
- UK Trainee Online Reporter at the MailOnline (Start date: August 7th 2017)
- Editor of The Salfordian (June 2017 – July 2017)
- After finishing university, my personal tutor invited me to write and design The Salfordian, which was a magazine celebrating Salford University’s 50th anniversary that was handed out at the graduation ceremonies. Here I got to show off my design skill on InDesign, interview and create articles to feature inside the magazine, and edit other contributors’ work.
- Work Experience at The Blackpool Gazette (June 2013, June 2016 and November 2016)
- I have spent two separate weeks at Blackpool’s Gazette where I saw them put together the newspaper in a day teaching me the importance of team work. I was able to do phone interviews, helping me become more confident when speaking to people and teaching me how to adapt my language when dealing with different clientele.
- Work Experience at A-Magazine (September 2016 – April 2017)
- Here I have been able to show my research skills as I have been produced many articles on Manchester and the events that it holds. Throughout my time at A-Magazine, I have learned how to work as a team, and have shown good communication skills when speaking to my editor about how to improve a piece. I have also been able to discuss ideas of articles in a diplomatic way, helping the magazine achieve the best story angles possible.
- Writer in Residence at the Kendal Calling Festival (July 2013)
- I was asked to be Writer in Residence at Kendal Calling by the headlining act, The Charlatans. Here I was able to interview numerous bands, meet their fans and produce an issue of my fanzine based around the festival that was released a few weeks afterwards. This gave me great confidence when interview people, helped me develop my organisation skills when planning for the festival and allowed me to network with likeminded music fans and people in the business.
- Reporter for John Robb’s Louder Than War music magazine (February 2014 – Present)
- After reading my fanzine John Robb (acclaimed Journalist and author) invited me to start writing for his blog. Here I have been asked to interview up and coming bands and write reviews. I feel as though this has enhanced my writing techniques, allowed my social skills to develop when communicating with others. This has helped me understand the importance of deadlines, showing me to be trust worthy and reliable. I have also featured in the print version of Louder Than War.
- Features Editor of Hooting and Howling (August 2016 – July 2017)
- After writing for Hooting and Howling’s website I decided to apply for Features Editor. This has allowed me to create a team of writers who are willing to take on articles that are sent by Press Release agencies. I have shown my organisational skills when dealing with PR’s emails and replying to them as quickly as I can. I have been able to post and publish other peoples’ work giving them feedback on their pieces – explaining their strengths as writers but also giving them pointers as to where they can improve.
- Editor of Read Fashion (August 2016 – July 2017)
- Here I have been able to show my abilities on WordPress as I have had to design post layouts and publish them onto the site. I have shown good editing skills when checking other writers’ work for spelling errors and grammar mistakes. I have encouraged people to write for me as well as sharing Read Fashion on social media in order to gain readership.
- Creator and Editor of the music fanzine, ‘Woodnote’ (2012 – 2014).
- Here I developed my own music fanzine based on the record label O’Genesis and up and coming bands. It has featured interviews from: Clint Boon (The Inspiral Carpets), Tim Burgess (The Charlatans), Nik Void and Gabe Gurnsey (Factory Floor), The Gramotones, The Heartbreaks and many more. Various fans have written for me including as far afield as Tokyo, Singapore and Argentina. This shows I am enthusiastic and passionate about music and writing. It also highlights my self-motivation. Just recently, I have developed Woodnote into social media music site called White Heat. You can find its Twitter @whiteheatzine.
- Reporter at VIVA Magazine (March 2017 – July 2017)
- At VIVA I have been able to come up with creative ideas to publish on their website. As there is a weekly meeting I have been able to work as a team with the other reporters in order to produce content ideas and liaise with the Editor about what she would like to see featuring on the website.
Other Work Experience
- Seasonal Job at The Dutchman Hotel (April 2015 – April 2017)
- As part of working at the Dutchman Hotel I have gained a lot more confidence when dealing with the public. It has taught me to be patient whilst speaking with customers, to handle complicated situations on my own and have been conscientious, taking my duties seriously. I have watched my team working skills develop when working alongside other employees in order to keep the hotel running smoothly. I feel as though I have shown I am a trustworthy person as my manager has numerously left me the task of locking up the hotel in the evenings.
- Seasonal Job at First Class Kids Uniform Shop (July – September 2013)
- I spent three months doing seasonal work last summer at First Class Kids. This taught me how to be patient when dealing with both customers and staff, fitting people with the correct size uniforms and displaying stock neatly in the shop, making it look inviting. It taught me how to serve customers and how to approach them, being inviting yet also allowed me to use my initiative in certain situations.
Interests and Achievements
- Created my own fashion and beauty blog on WordPress abigillibrand.wordpress.com (2014 – Present).
- Writer for Inkshaped music website (2016).
- Published journalist on Quays News (2015 – Present)
- Published Journalist in the Lancashire Evening Post (June 2016 and November 2016).
- Editor for Blackpool Sixth Form’s college magazine and blog ‘Sixth Sense’ (2012 – 2014).
- Published Journalist for alternative women’s magazine, ‘Lippy: No Gloss’’ Music Blog (2013).
- Black Belt in Taekwondo (2009).
- Played piano and keyboard taking part in school performances (2007 – 2014).
- Senior Prefect at Highfield Humanities College (2011).
- Student Librarian at Highfield Humanities College (2007-2011).
- Prefect at Highfield Humanities College (2010).
- Member of The Mullin’s Theatre School, achieving many roles including Roxie Hart in ‘Chicago’ (2006 – 2010).
- Three Star Awards in Tap Dance (2006 – 2010).
- Bronze I.D.T.A Tap Dance Award (2010).